How To Modify Your Host File
Editing your host file allows you to see a website that is under development, without having to have it live for your clients. It is useful when a website is undergoing redevelopment.
Windows Host File
- Press the Windows key.
- Type Notepad in the search field.
- In the search results, right-click Notepad and select Run as administrator.
- From Notepad, open the following file: c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts
- Make the necessary changes to the file.
- Click File > Save to save your changes.
What to put in the file:
your developer should give you the ip address of the website host server.
put the ip address first then a space followed by your domain name:
to comment this out and see the live website use a # sign before the ipadress